It is hot in Georgia in the summer and I do feel for those who have no place to go to escape the heat and humidity. It can get cold in winter, it can storm. I honestly can't imagine living on the street with no place to go. I know many people living on the street are chronically homeless, alcoholics, drug addicts, and sadly, many are mentally ill. I see them all the time.
I especially wonder what on earth a woman with two small children does between the time the shelter turns her out onto the street, and allows her back in that evening.
Does she have money to feed those kids? Where do you go with them if it's raining or cold? How do you keep an infant and toddler occupied for the long hours stretching between morning and evening? Would the children be better off in foster care? Would I be able to give them up for their own good? Would foster care be better?
Just asking these questions because I ran into a woman with two very young children yesterday, obviously homeless, with nothing to occupy herself or her children for many long hours. I have no idea what her situation was, whether she had drug or alcohol problems or was just going through a hard time. Where was the father of these children? Maybe he was out looking for a job, or had a job, just not enough yet to support his family. Am I dreaming? Being incredibly naive?
It's just some of the things I wonder about when I see the homeless.
No comments:
Post a Comment