Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What I Threw Away Today & What I Found

...more books....

In doing so I ran across a title I bought in 1968 or so, The Added Dimension: the Art and Mind of Flannery O'Connor by Melvin Friedman.

I purchased this book at The Peachtree Book Store in Atlanta while attending Georgia State University. Mr. Battle, the proprietor, was an intelligent, extremely literate man who ran a used book store in a narrow, dusty space the heart of what is now called, I believe, Midtown. I spent many afternoons browsing the shelves and picking up obscure books. I bought a beautiful copy of Dante's Inferno, illustrated by Dore there for $25.00. He agreed to sell it to me only if I promised not to shelve in on it's spine, but on its side.

I donated the O'Connor criticism to the Georgia Room. It brought back memories of the dimly lit, insanely organized book store on Peachtree Street, where interesting characters gathered - now long gone, having been paved over for a parking lot or the AT&T building - who knows.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Deb, it's Irene (the commenter) from AA. I thought I would best reach you here instead of extending that knitting thread.

I wanted to let you know that I "ravel" under a nom de needle. My identity on Ravelry is "mezgam." You won't find more than one, I think!