Saturday, January 10, 2009

Joan Crawford in Sudden Fear

Joan Crawford was surely one of the most formidable movie stars of her time.

Wathing the classic noir film, Sudden Fear (1952) (which was nominated for four oscars: Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design) all I could think was: "Work it, girl!" Those eyebrows! Those lips! Someone points out that there were numerous shots of Crawford's shoes and ankles in this film. And I didn't quite get (first time anyway) that whole white scarf routine - I'll have to watch it again.

The film costars Jack Palance, one of the great character actors. He's terrificly menacing in this movie, preying on Joan's vulnerable, woman-of-a-certain-age character.


Here's a great shot of the two stars, Joan Crawford at her most beautiful.

Both stars are pretty intense - wonder how they got along?

And, get a load of a really young Mike Conners as Junior Kearney.

No comments: