"What is it about blogging that keeps you at it?"
Norma at Collecting My Thoughts has posed this question to me. Here is my answer:
I sometimes ask myself this question. I feel as if I'm talking to myself most of the time. The number of blogs out there are mind boggling, and even more so are the ones that "make it" - become famous, income producing enterprises. My humble efforts will never reach that level.
In November I became so depressed that I deleted my first blog and determined I would never blog again! The Internet wept. But I couldn't stay away. I missed the interaction, however slight it is.
So I cranked up and started all over.
One very practical reason I started this particular blog was to keep up with what I am reading, to think more deeply about what I read, what I got out of the book, why it resonated with me.
Another is that I use blog posting to try and improve my writing skills. I truly enjoy writing but I think I'm pretty mediocre. I use this opportunity to hone those skills, force myself to improve my vocabulary and write with precision.
Another is to force myself to think and express myself clearly and freely. Blogging gives me the option of writing and editing over and over until I get it the way I want it. I find i'm less inhibited online (which can be good and bad).
Last, I hoped that the blog would be interesting enough to encourage people to read it and comment. It thrills me to get comments!
It still stuns me when I think about the folks I have meet whom I would have never known existed otherwise. Over the holidays, I met one of my blogging buddies and it was a very special moment. I had coffee with her, her husband and adorable little boy. There's another person I can call "friend" whom without the Internet would have never met. I think that's pretty special.
Geting to know and keeping in touch with people like
Norma, a fellow librarian and smart thinking person who is about my age (I'm assuming); and Beth, a fellow quilter, mother, and aspiring writer is one of the biggest reasons I keep hacking away, even though only 2 or 3 people regularly visit this humble blog.
I'll never be The Manolo or
Althouse or Pioneer Woman - but I guess I feel I have something to say and a need to say it, so thank goodness for Blogger.
4 comments:
Very good job. Where are the other 4 questions? Or did you just choose one. Thanks for answering.
I really like what you wrote in your blog. For me writing is my outlet because I really find it hard voicing my feelings, and beliefs about certain things.
To tell you the truth I've met a lot of wonderful people in blogging who supports and guides you.
I also love to improve my vocabulary and writing. I love writing as much as reading books.
Thanks, Young Heejin, for stopping by. I have made some good friends online, as well; people I am glad I got to know.
I blog partly to give my husband a break from my expressiveness, partly in order not to leave loooonnnggg comments on other peoples' blogs, and partly because I've discovered, to my surprise, that it's kind of fun to keep a journal of sorts. I never have before.
And it is fun having internet friends, and occasionally meeting them F2F. I heart the internet, and Blogger.
Post a Comment