
Musing Mondays hosted by Just One More Page. part of the A Novel Challenge Yahoo group (hope I got all that correct).
How long do you wait after finishing a book before you pick/start another one? How many books do you have planned ahead or do you pick up random books from your tbr pile (if you have one)? Do you review right away or keep reading and come back to it later?
How long do you wait after finishing a book before you pick/start another one? How many books do you have planned ahead or do you pick up random books from your tbr pile (if you have one)? Do you review right away or keep reading and come back to it later?
After I finish a book that I've really enjoyed, it's hard for me to pick up another one for awhile. It's one reason I don't read as much as I'd like. I have to wait for the power of the book I just finished to subside - everything I pick up seems to pale in comparison.
I rarely plan ahead. I reserve a lot of books since I work at a library and I see all the new books that are ordered. Last week I received five new books which I doubt I will finish before I have to turn them in and re-reserve them. I'm around books all day long, 5 days a week. It's difficult to focus on one book at a time.
If I don't review right away, I'll forget a lot of things that I wanted to remember about the book. I'm often mulling these over as I read, and should jot them down somewhere (good idea).
Right now on my shelf to read are the following;
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo /Stieg Larsson
When Will There Be Good News? / Kate ATkinson
The Lace Reader / Brunonia
Die Withe Me / Ellen Forbes
Black Second / Karen Folsum
The Private Patient / P. D. James
Most of these titles are very popular and have long waiting lists, so it may be awhile before I see them again unless I buy them.
I've also got The Great Upheaval by Jay Winik and One Minute to Midnight by Michael Dobe. Both sound fascinating, the latter being about the Cuban Missile Crisis, something I remember all too well.
The best part of reading is the point at which the book completely claims you and there's no going back. That is a heady experience -- how wonderful that something that is that pleasurable is actually good for you.
1 comment:
I know what you mean about being surrounded by books at work and wanting to read them all. I'm a shelver in a Science/Engineering library and there's books THERE that I want to read. I'd hate to see how many I'd bring home if I worked in a general collection
Post a Comment