My library participates in a program for seniors where we present a weekly book review. It's a wonderful way to reach out to a somewhat neglected portion of the community - our elders. Basically anything-goes - presenters can talk about anything that interests them, and the class attendees are very receptive and curious.
I'm the coordinator for this program. I recruit (or try to) my collegues to take an hour of one day to discuss a book or an author they love to a wonderful group of senior citizens. Although I balk at that term: many of them are not much older than I am!
Next week I am the first presentor and I will be talking about books by Jhumpa Lahiri and Anne Munro, two writers in which I see similarities. Their prose is very clean and restrained, something I appreciate in writing. Too many authors I find over-write - they show off with cute metaphors that make their writing self-concious.
Both of them have a gift for turning the simplest things in life into something profound and universal: questions about the choices we make, relationships, love, marriage, culture. They have an ability to illuminate the essential things of life beautifully, clearly and concisely. It's miraculous when that happens.
My Book Shelves
My bookshelves are an ever changing landscape of old and new. Yesterday I checked out A History of Israel by John Bright, published originally in 1959. I can't even remember how I learned about this book but somewhere it was recommended to me. It's available on Amazon for $15.00 and i may have to buy it. It is extremely detailed and deep, more of a reference book or something I will have to read in pieces.
Also, I chanced upon The Making of a Story : A Norton Guide to Creative Writing by Alice LaPlante which looks interesting. I admire the short story form, that ability to hone an idea down to essentials. It's one reason I love Alice Munro: her writing does just that. I've grown tired of some writers that I used to love because they have become so impressed with their ability to make the simple more complicated.
Reading Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth will satisfy both my book discussion commitment and one of the Notable Books challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment