Sunday, December 7, 2008

About Cookbooks



This was my mother's favorite cook book, and her best pound cake recipe. It's for a chocolate pound cake but when I want a plain cake, I use this recipe and omit the cocoa. It works beautifully. If you want lemon, add a teaspoon of lemon flavoring or extract. The cake recipe is not from this book but from an old friend. Believe me, this is a great recipe - I've probably eaten my weight in this cake. And this cake has certainly not helped my weight one bit. It's a mutually non-beneficial relationship.

Mom bought this many years ago, or my brother bought it for her, when the phone company where he worked was selling them. All the recipes, of which Mom made quite a few over the years, are tried and true from employees. It was not only her favorite cook book, but her filing cabinet - it's filled with clippings and printouts and hand written recipes from family and friends.

I love all the Atlanta imagery on the cover.

1 comment:

jenclair said...

I want some! I actually have a recipe that a student gave me years ago, but when I tried it, the results were less than perfect. Maybe this one will work!

What a great keepsake you have in this cook book.