Thursday, December 18, 2008

Distracted

This week is dragging by and I'm very distracted by various goings on. Somehow when I get home I just collapse. Last night I managed to get some sewing done on a few gifts I've been making but that's about it. I pick up a book and I immediately am unconcious.

Still, I'm able to listen to an audiobook on the way to work:
The Likeness by Tana French. The narrator is Heather O'Neill and she is superb.

The book I'm reading (or trying to read) is one of the NYT 100 Notable Books of 2008, When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson. If I could remain concious for 5 minutes at a time, I might actually get into it.

I'm tempted by so many of the hundreds of reading challenges around the Internet but I think I'll stick to one of my own, which is to read a book a week. I love to read about the challenges, and pick titles from them that I'd like to read but I when I start to feel pressure to read certain things, it takes the enjoyment out of it for me. I like for my reading choices to be more spontaneous. I'm notorious for auditioning five or ten books at a time, making lists of books to read in the future, trolling the library shelves for something that catches my eye (I've found some fantastic books that way).

Having said that, I think I'll be guided by the Notable Books challenge but that's the only one (she said, fingers crossed).

I accidentally deleted the list of all the books I read last year which greatly upsets me - stupid, stupid, stupid. I've been trying to recreate it but that will take a long time. What a dumb thing to do.

1 comment:

Norma said...

You are ambitious. I try for one a month, but I do dip and dabble. I think I have 3 or 4 going on the middle ages right now. Knew nothing, so anything I pick up is fresh.