Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Favorites

One of my favorite blogs is Seraphic Secret where today he challenges his readers and lurkers to name their twenty favorite actresses. So here goes, in no particular order, just as I think of them, and the movies I loved them in. This may take a couple of days:

1. Joanne Woodward. Not only was she married to the fabulous Paul Newman for - what, 40 years? - but she was originally from Georgia. She had her own unique beauty, if that's important - but most all, she is such a fine, distinctive actor. I loved her in Three Faces of Eve and in Philadelphia. And her voice is beautiful.

2. Audrey Hepburn. My favorite Audrey movies are Nun's Story, Children's Hour, My Fair Lady. I did not care too much for her early films. As a person with tremendous beauty, style and most of all, class, she cannot be matched.

3. Ingrid Bergman. I once saw her interviewed by Phil Donahue not long before she died of breast cancer. He pressed her for more information on her relationship with Roberto Rossolini. She said, "I don't think I want to talk about that with you." Most celebrities today relish the opportunity to bare all but she, like Audrey Hepburn and Joanne Woodward, had to much character and self respect to discuss personal issues at that level. Beauty, brains, talent, class. Do you see a pattern here? My favorite Bergman film: Notorious with (sigh) Cary Grant. Unbeatable.

4. Judi Densch - saw her in Notes on a Scandel and Iris - fabulous.

5. Anne Bancroft - The Graduate, Miracle Worker. Smoldering, intelligent.

6. Maggie Smith - in every film she is fascinating. Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Gosford Park

7. Julie Harris - The Haunting, among others. Saw her live in The Belle of Amhurst. She seems fragile to me, and haunting.

8. Claire Bloom - she is so cool and serene. Charlie.

9. Thelma Ritter - the best second banana ever, everybody's reliable best friend. Often supporting Doris Day but remember her in Rear Window?

10. Doris Day - The Queen, we call her at home. Maybe one of the most underestimated talents ever. All of her movies with Rock Hudson and one with Jams Garner, I forget the names, but also Midnight Lace with Rex Harrson and Love Me or Leave Me with James Cagney. She also made a fun movie with Brian Keith called With Six You Get Eggroll.

11. Loretta Young - so versatile, so beautiful. Her TV show really showcased her versatility. Come To The Stable, The Stranger, The Bishop's Wife. My Gosh, those cheekbones!

12. Bette Davis - the ultimate bitch but you gotta love her. The Little Foxes.

13. Cate Blanchett - the Elizabeth movies, Notes on a Scandal, Paradise Road, the Aviator, Lord of the Rings, Talented Mr. Ripley

14. Laura Linney - always a good solid performance, in my mind. Squid and the Whale, You Can Count on Me, Mystic River

15. VAnessa Redgrave - hate her politics but she is always interesting to watch. Julia, HOward's End

16. Irene Dunne - so very funny. Remember My Favorite Wife with Cary Grant?

17. Myrna Loy - also funny, and smart. Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, Nick & Nora movies

18. Elizabeth Taylor - what can you say? Giant, Suddenly Last Summer

19. Diane Keaton - she's a mess and flakey but I love her. Annie Hall, Murder in Manhatten

20. Hayley Mills - when I was a kid, I wanted to *be* Hayley Mills. I saw Parent Trap, and came home crying because I wanted to BE her so much. I still think she's great. Parent Trap, Flame Trees of Thika, Moon-spinners, Chalk Garden

21. Had to add Deborah Kerr. Now there's class, beauty and Talent! Chalk Garden, From Here to Eternity, King and I, and on and on and on.

What fun. I'm sure I could come up with 20 more!

3 comments:

Juryizstillout said...

I love the Dame, Judi Densch. she makes the bond movies for me.

Love the list. I would add Meryl Streep in all but "Momma Mia!".

Simplicity said...

Fantastic list! I'm going to do it, too! Yay!

Vodka Mom said...

That was fantastic. (And anyone with the name of DEB has to rock.....)